For those of you who know me personally, you know that my life is a borderline God damn Lifetime movie.
Some people, when they decide that my past makes them feel too uncomfortable, or that they don't want to hear it anymore, say something. What they say is always the same thing.
"Get over it."
I've pondered this phrase for a while now, analyzing just what 'getting over' something means. Does it mean that you treat the experiences in question as a sort of hill? A hill that you just climb over, never looking back to acknowledge that it was there? Maybe I'm just stubborn as all hell, but I can't bring myself to be one of those people who just decides to ignore any form of adversity they have experienced and treat it as though it never happened. I understand the mentality, don't get me wrong, I just don't agree with it.
This brings us to the title of this post, my kittens.
What is the difference between getting 'over' something and getting 'through' something?
As described before, I see "getting over" something as a kind of "just pretend it never happened and ignore all aspects of it, making whatever conclusion you see fit."
I find "getting through" to be the tougher, but more closure-providing option. Getting through something takes one hell of a lot longer than just getting over it. It is tougher than ignoring the past as well. I mean, you end up having to examine every last facet of the adversity and forming your own conclusions based on evidence that is presented. However, this can lead to you having to come to terms with some things you would never want to admit, such as:
"He did care at some point."
"She's not a hero."
"We weren't saved."
It can be difficult and depressing, but the closure provided far surpasses anything that you can achieve by just 'getting over it'. Having inner peace while knowing the truth about what you've been through is fantastic.
The point here being, not everyone can just say "Oop, the bad isn't here anymore, so therefore it never happened and I will not feel anything from it". Some of us have to work through things before we can stop looking back.
Til next time, sweethearts,
Zach
No comments:
Post a Comment